Almond oil as hair care - a light oil with many benefits
Have you ever tried incorporating almond oil into your hair care routine? If so, then you know the value of this wonderful oil. If not, then this is your chance to understand what your hair has been missing out on!
If you've ever tried using oil on your hair, you know that while it can be beneficial, it can also be a hassle. Greasy oils can weigh hair down and give it an oily appearance. If you've had that experience, you'll love almond oil.
It's full of benefits for the hair, while being a very light oil that absorbs instantly and leaves a healthy shine when used properly.
Almonds have always been revered, as they are among the oldest seeds mentioned in Greek and Sumerian writings. Throughout history, different cultures have always enjoyed using almond oil. This odorless, pale yellow oil has many uses, including hair health.
Throughout historythe ancient Egyptians, Chinese, Indians and Greeks used almond oil.The fact that it is still used today is a testament to its timeless value.
With the increasing interest in natural products, the demand for almond oil has also increased. The oil is suitable for those who want to promote hair growth and scalp health.In addition, it can help treat damaged hair and nourish and moisturize strands.
Types of almond oil
Almond oil is extracted from a plant called Prunus dulcis.
It can be extracted from sweet almonds or bitter almonds, resulting in the two popular versions of the oil.
Bitter almond oil
Bitter almond trees growing in the wild produce bitter almonds. The oil of bitter almond is extracted from these wild trees.
Bitter almonds contain benzaldehyde and hydrocyanic acid, which explains the high degree of toxicity of the plant.
Bitter almond oil has almost no use. However, medical professionals sometimes use a refined version of bitter almond oil to benefit from its healing properties. The oil can be used to treat various ailments such as constipation, coughs and fevers.
Sweet almond oil
The most common almond oil is the edible oil extracted from sweet almonds. Sweet almond oil is used in both medicine and cosmetics.
You can find sweet almond oil as an ingredient in many cosmetic products. It is safe to use and can be used as an ingredient in shampoos, conditioners and lotions. Sweet almond oil is also known as a good cleanser. It is found as an ingredient in many soaps and makeup removers.
Sweet almond oil is very popular in the beauty industry. It is rich in fatty acids (omega 9 and 6, stearic acid and palmitic acid) and vitamins (A and E) and zinc.
Sweet almond oil - benefits for hair
Can almond oil improve the health of your hair? If your hair is dry, damaged and dull, incorporating almond oil into your hair care routine will have a positive effect on both strands and scalp. See for yourself the benefits almond oil has in store for your hair:
- It moisturizes and gently conditions hair without making it greasy
- Repairs damaged and dry hair
- Restores shine to dull hair
- Stimulates hair growth
- Removes dandruff from the scalp.
- Improves moisture retention
- Cleanses the scalp of unwanted sebum, dirt and sweat
- Restores the hair's natural oils
You can mix almond oil with other essential oils to get even more benefits for your hair.
Essential oils to mix with almond oil
Like other oils, such as Jojoba-, apricot- and argan oil, almond oil is a carrier oil. Carrier oils complement essential oils when they are mixed together. To get the most out of the treatment, you can mix a few drops of your favorite essential oil with sweet almond oil.
To reduce hair loss, you may mix sweet almond oil with essential oils,that promote hair growth such as:
- Rosemary oil: Researchers have recently discovered its effect on hair growth.This oil has similar results to the widely used hair restorer Minoxidil 2%. Even better, it has no side effects compared to this drug..
- Cedarwood oil: It is perfect for people with dry scalp. It regulates the production of natural hair oils, which promotes hair growth..
- Lavender oil:In addition to its soothing scent, it can promote hair growth through its regenerating properties. It can also maintain the overall health of the scalp..
- Thyme oil:Along with the other essential oils on this list, thyme oil has been shown to be weffective in treating hair loss such as alopecia.
Dandruff and itchy scalp
Winter can be particularly drying to the scalp. So if you suffer from dry scalp, dandruff and itchy scalp, it's best to add one of these oils to your carrier oil.
- Tee Tree: Antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory.
- Peppermint oil: This cooling oil stimulates your scalp and thus basically activates the absorption of nutrients. It works against dandruff and additionally promotes hair growth..
- Clary sage oil:Just like tea tree oil, this oil has an anti-inflammatory effect. It is great for treating dandruff and bacteria. It even regulates the oil production of your scalp..
Choose the essential oil you prefer and add three drops of it to 100 ml of sweet almond oil. Massage your scalp with this mixture for a few minutes.
Please note that all essential oils are very concentrated. This may cause irritation to some users. So it's best to do a patch test before applying essential oils to your scalp.
Applications of almond oil in your hair care routine
- Add some almond oil to your shampoo to nourish the scalp and promote hair growth
- To treat damaged, dull hair, add a few drops of almond oil to freshly washed, damp hair. The hair strands should be evenly covered with the oil. Depending on hair density and length, you can add more oil as needed.
- Mix an essential oil from the list above with your organic almond oil for specific scalp problems and to promote hair growth. Massage your scalp with this mixture for 5 minutes. Leave it on your scalp for 15 to 30 minutes before washing it out with a mild shampoo.
- To take full advantage of the moisturizing properties of almond oil, you should rub the oil into your hair and scalp. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes before washing.
Other uses for almond oil
Almond oil is an all-rounder that you can use from head to toe.This is not an expression, but a literal description. You can use almond oil on your scalp, hair, face, body and even your nails.
The benefits of almond oil for your skin
- When applied to the skin, it can protect the skin from UV rays. Since it only provides a SPF of 5, it should not be used as the main source of sun protection. To suitably protect against UV radiation, a designated sunscreen product must always be used.
- It can moisturize the skin, as it is very easily absorbed without leaving a greasy film. Of course, it is important here to pay attention to the amount used. Less is often more.
- It can be wonderfully used as a care booster for your daily skin care routine. Just mix a few drops of organic almond oil into your favorite cream.
- A massage with sweet almond oil can effectively reduce the intensity of stretch marks and prevent the formation of new ones.
- It can relieve muscle pain and tension. For example, if you have sore muscles, a light and relaxing massage with almond oil might be a good idea.
- Through massage, blood circulation is stimulated and this is known to always have a positive effect. The purification is promoted and cell regeneration stimulated.
- An almond oil massage relaxes and lets you fill up with new energy.
Treatment of the nails
- Apply sweet almond oil to your nails to strengthen them again. This is best done before bed. .
- Because it is rich in zinc, almond oil can make your nails more resistant in the long run and they will grow back healthier without breaking off as quickly.
The quality of almond oil
If you're convinced that sweet almond oil is the right oil for your hair, you may be wondering.... Which almond oil should I buy?
On the Internet and in retail stores, you can find a wide selection of almond oil. However, not all almond oil products have the same quality and benefits.
The general advice you get on the Internet is to look for pure, cold-pressed sweet almond oil without additives. That's not bad advice, but you should also know that how it's grown affects the number of nutrients in almond oil and how effective they are.
CRAFT & CARE offers almond oil from controlled organic cultivation. . The almonds from which the oils are extracted are organically grown. Therefore, none of the kernels are exposed to any pollutants or pesticides.
The organic almond oil from CRAFT & CARE is also cold pressed. This is a gentle way of extraction that preserves all the nutrients of the seed. In this process, pressure is applied to the almond by placing it between two metal plates. This method breaks the almond, releasing the oils.
You can tell the difference between cold-pressed and refined oil with the naked eye. Cold-pressed almond oil is darker than refined almond oil.
Possible side effects
If you are prone to allergic reactions (especially if you have a nut allergy), you should do a patch test before using sweet almond oil.
To do this, apply a small amount of the oil to the inside of your arm. If an allergic reaction occurs within 48 hours, you should stop using the oil immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use sweet almond oil on my eyebrows and eyelashes?
Yes, you can. Similar to how sweet almond oil supports hair health, it can also strengthen eyebrows and eyelashes. They become less likely to break off. With careful and long-term use, almond oil makes your eyelashes longer and your brows fuller.
Does almond oil cause hair loss?
Quite the opposite! Almond oil is safe to use and prevents hair loss. The nutrients it contains promote hair growth, especially if you massage your scalp with it.
Can I apply almond oil on my lips?
Yes. Let your lips reap the benefits of almond oil and use it as a lip conditioner to restore softness to chapped and rough lips. As long as it's cold-pressed organic almond oil, even if accidentally swallowed, you'll be fine.
CRAFT & CARE products with almond oil
CRAFT & CARE uses almond oil in a range of products to ensure a round spectrum of effects. All oils used are from certified organic cultivation.
CRAFT & CARE contains organic almond oil in the following products:
Dry, sensitive and mature skin
Jojoba oil, almond oil, argan oil, macadamia oil, apricot oil and vitamin E
All skin types
Almond oil, macadamia oil, rosehip seed oil, pomegranate seed oil, vitamin E
Normal to dry skin
Coconut oil, cocoa butter, beeswax, almond oil, macadamia oil, argan oil, pomegranate seed oil, rosehip seed oil and vitamin E
CRAFT & CARE oils
CRAFT & CARE offers a range of oils for the needs of skin and hair. All oils are organically produced and cold pressed.If you are enthusiastic about the benefits of almond oil, you might also be interested to find out about the benefits of our other pure organic oils.
The CRAFT & CARE p.u.r.e. collection includes:
Organic Jojoba Oil
Organic Apricot Kernel Oil
If you prefer natural organic skin and hair care products, check out the CRAFT & CARE collectionsto learn more about the products and find other natural ingredients that might interest you!