Oily skin is often characterized by excessive shine, especially in the T-zone. Sometimes it also has enlarged pores and is more prone to impurities. The typical shine is caused by excessive sebum production (seborrhea) of the skin. However, the advantage of oily or oily skin is that the formation of wrinkles is more moderate.
Those who have oily skin know that after a while the skin begins to shine and produce more oil, no matter what measures you have taken before. Often people suspect that it is useful to cleanse his face intensively with washing gels against oily skin, but this is not a solution. By stripping the skin of its natural lipids, it only stimulates it even more to increase sebum production.
If you're wondering, "What can I do about oily skin and what products can I use?" Here we will help you with your questions.
What are the typical signs of oily skin?
If you find yourself in this short description, you probably know other aspects associated with excessively oily skin:
- Makeup does not "sit" properly, but literally glides over the skin
- After a short time you powder your face again or dab with a cloth over the typical shiny areas.
- Powder mattes off only for a short time, and the unwanted shine reappears after only a short time
- Mattifying creams, fluids or primers do not seem to do anything to change oil production
Causes of oily skin
If your skin type is oily or oily, your skin seems to like producing oil and sebum (sebum). Oily and shiny skin is usually the result of an overproduction of sebum (the "oil" that causes blackheads, congestion and blemishes).
The reason for the excessive production of sebum, and often the tendency to impurities, can have different causes, including:
- Hormonal causes: Oily skin can also be temporary, for example in adolescence.
- Lifestyle factors: Stress, an unhealthy diet and lack of moisture.
- Excessive skin cleansing with too aggressive and too high pH values (alkaline or basic). Mostly caused by the use of washing gels or soaps.
- No or inadequate skin care: too low a supply of moisturizers or natural lipids. A lack of skin care can cause the skin to dehydrate, dry out and try to counteract this with increased oil production to protect itself.
Although you want to minimize sebum production, avoid irritating it with cleansers or astringent scrubs. Such products can severely attack and weaken your skin's protective barrier. Your skin will then try to fix the problem by producing even more sebum. In some cases, it's not uncommon for clogged pores to appear or for the skin to begin to become so imbalanced that it suddenly becomes prone to acne. Of course, some other facets, such as the causes mentioned above, play a major role in the problem of oily skin.
Our article about the Consequences of excessive skin care The following pages can help you to get a better overview of this, sometimes very complex, topic.
Even if your oily skin is causing you problems right now, know that it is possible to bring your skin back into balance. There are essential steps to regulate the skin's barrier function and manage excessive sebum production.
In the following, we present the essential care steps and a selection of products from our care line, which are particularly suitable for your skin type.
Gentle and regulating care for oily skin
A skin-friendly and effective routine for oily skin should focus on the essentials.
- A mild cleaning to remove excess sebum, makeup, dirt, sweat and sunscreen without degreasing the skin. The cleansing of your skin should be thorough but not damaging to the skin's protective barrier.
- Regulating care with active ingredients that balance sebum production can be used directly after cleansing. Niacinamide (nicotinamide) is one of the most proven active ingredients for this task.
- A solid moisture supply is essential for every skin type. Intensive moisturizers help the skin to remain functional at cellular level, while ensuring that the skin cell remains plump and hydrated.
- Protection and care for oily skin is the point where most fall into doubt. Here it is important to be careful to choose the necessary but right lipids. Light non-comedogenic oils in minimal quantities, sufficiently protect against transepidermal water loss without clogging the pores.
At CRAFT & CARE we have a range of products that are suitable for every skin type in different combinations. Our LIPID GLORY skin care consists of mild and effective products. All raw materials used are from controlled organic cultivation or are obtained in an ecologically responsible way. The skincare line is designed to regenerate your protective barrier, moisturize it and keep it supple with plant lipids.
All of the following LIPID GLORY products are essential and effective building blocks of a morning and evening skincare routine for oily skin:
The gentle LIPID GLORY Clay Cleanser is based on organic safflower and coconut oil, white clay and very mild emulsifiers. Cleansing Balm intensively moisturizes, cleanses thoroughly and creates a hydrated pleasant feeling. Your skin is absolutely clean, soft and supple after cleansing with this skin-friendly cleansing balm and not at all dry or degreased. A further cleansing step, e.g. a "Double Cleanse" is not necessary. The Clay Cleanser reliably removes dirt, makeup, sunscreen, sebum and sweat in an extremely gentle way.
Our balm is ideal for very oily skin, as it does not irritate the skin, does not unnecessarily attack the skin's protective barrier and yet thoroughly frees it from the day's accumulations.
TIPS FOR THE USE OF OUR CLEANSING BALM
Our Clay Cleansing Balm is very economical to use because it is formulated like a rich balm concentrate.
A small amount is enough to clean the whole face and neck. You can melt it and massage the face or directly make a balmy cleansing milk with a few drops of water.
The balm reacts immediately with a little water to form an emulsion (cream, fluid, lotion) that is even easier to apply and massage onto dry facial skin.
The Clay Cleanser can be washed off with lukewarm water without leaving any residue.
Our Hydrating Serum is oil-free and purely water-based. It is absorbed very quickly, does not stick and does not roll off. It leaves a pleasantly moist and light feeling on your skin.
Our moisturizing serum is formulated with high-quality ingredients that bind and retain water. Being oil-free and having a comedogenicity of 0, it is an ideal moisturizer for oily skin. The combination of ingredients has an antimicrobial effect and prevents inflammation.
A very light, oil-free and regulating toner is our Balancing Toner . It has the function of refreshing, regulating, moisturizing and balancing the pH of your skin.
The contained niacinamide strengthens your skin barrier, counteracts impurities and prevents moisture loss. Using our balancing toner can help you rebalance your oily skin.
Protection and light care with suitable lipids
Night & Day Oil Set
Das Night oil and the Daily oil are intensively nourishing oil serums made from organic plant oils that soften your skin and protect and regenerate it with their valuable ingredients. The oil serums have a moisture-retaining effect, strengthen the lipid barrier and prevent your skin from prematurely losing moisture and releasing it into the environment.
Due to the composition of the individual organic vegetable oils, each has a comedogenicity level of 1-2. The fatty acid spectrum of the oils promotes the elasticity of the skin and regulates sebum production. All this makes our day and night oil an ideal care for oily skin.
Light day oil
The included Organic jojoba oil is particularly distinguished for its beneficial properties for oily and blemished skin. This makes it an ideal care for acne-prone skin and susceptibility to pimples and blackheads.
The composition consists of photostable oils, all of which are quickly absorbed. The vegetable oils from controlled organic cultivation are rich in vitamins, important fatty acids and antioxidants, which have a nourishing effect and protect the skin from environmental influences.
Regenerative night oil
Night Oil is a light oil serum that has a moisturizing effect and cell regenerating properties. It leaves the skin soft and supple. The rich oils have a high content of vitamins, antioxidants and secondary plant substances. This protect the skin from environmental influences and stimulate the renewal of skin cells.
The night oil is also suitable for oily skin that tends to impurities. It is only slightly comedogenic, keeps moisture sufficiently in the skin and leaves the skin feeling soft.
Tips for the order of products in your routine
1. cleanse and tone:
- Start your grooming routine with the Cleansing balm . Take a small amount between the palms of your clean hands, bring the balm to melt and massage your skin with gentle movements, take your time for this step. Add one or two drops of water directly when melting or keep adding some moisture during the massage. On contact with water creates a rich and cleansing milk
- Take the resulting cleansing milk with lukewarm water and then gently dry your face. It is best to pat your skin dry with a clean towel without rubbing. A mild cleansing will make your skin ready for the application of regulating and hydrating products.
- Always apply your moisturizers starting with the most watery form. This means, for example, that you first apply a very watery toner and then a light gel serum.
2. protection and care
Oils, balms or creams are ideally applied to a previously hydrated skin. Lipids are then simply absorbed better, leaving the skin feeling rather supple and appearing less greasy or build-up. To apply them, follow the steps below:
- Apply a few drops of the oil on the prepared, moistened skin, so the oil can be better massaged in.
- Or mix your individual emulsion. Our LIPID GLORY oil serums and balms can be mixed with the Hydrating Serum to create an emulsion according to your needs. Put a few drops of the oil and one or two pumps of the Hydrating Serum in the palm of your hand and mix with your fingers. Voila, a light fluid that is quickly absorbed is created.
- Gently apply the oil or emulsion to your skin with light massaging motions to facilitate absorption. A gentle massage stimulates the blood circulation in your face.
Our products are ideal for regulating excess oil production. Your skin is gently cleansed and sufficiently supplied with moisture and lipids.