Sensitive skin is a clinical syndrome characterized by the occurrence of unpleasant sensations such as itching, burning or pain as a Reaction to various factors characterized, including skin care products, water, cold, heat or other physical and/or chemical factors.
Finding the right skin care routine for sensitive skin can be complicated. However, this is not a cause for concern. It is definitely possible to find a routine that will soothe sensitive or delicate skin while strengthening the skin's protective barrier and making it more resilient.
In the following, you will learn about the typical characteristics of sensitive skin and which skin care steps and products are suitable to bring it back into balance.
How does sensitive or delicate skin manifest itself?
In many cases, sensitive skin is usually not a cause for concern, as it is likely due to a mild intolerance or underlying predisposition.
Symptoms of sensitive or reactive skin can manifest themselves in a variety of ways, such as:
- reddened areas
- Skin rashes that may itch, sting, or burn
- Itching, burning or stinging without a visible rash
- Rapidly appearing sunburns
- Contact dermatitis
Contact dermatitis is an inflammatory skin reaction caused by contact with an agent, substance or similar on the skin. There are several types of contact dermatitis.
Irritant contact dermatitis
A person can get irritant contact dermatitis from products such as soaps, detergents, or even contact with water. A nonspecific, inflammatory skin reaction occurs in response to the chemicals in these products. People can also react to jewelry that is made of metals such as nickel.
The skin may become red, swollen and itchy. In some cases, it may become very dry and cracked, and blisters may even form.
Photoallergic contact dermatitis
It occurs when the skin becomes irritated after coming into contact with something that has been exposed to sunlight, usually a product such as sunscreen lotion.
Allergic contact dermatitis
Allergic dermatitis occurs when a person's skin comes into contact with something to which they are allergic. Allergy, which is an immune reaction, can also cause eczema and hives.
Common allergens that can cause skin reactions include:
- Latex or rubber
- Dyes and colorants
- Chemicals or ingredients in creams or bath and beauty products
- Reactions to certain plants, such as poison ivy, poison oak, or stinging nettle.
- Contact with animal saliva or fur
Symptoms may include:
- Redness with or without swelling
- Skin rashes or hives
- Dry, flaky skin
- Blisters or cracked, weeping skin
- Dark, leathery skin patches
Symptoms may resolve on their own if the individual immediately isolates the causative product and rinses the affected area with cold water. Those who have difficulty identifying the products or substances causing their symptoms should consult a dermatologist.
What are the triggers for sensitive skin?
Sensitive skin has many complex causes. Some environmental factors and also lifestyle can cause skin reactions that characterize sensitive skin. Avoiding possible triggers and soothing irritated skin can help people with sensitive skin find relief and improve their quality of life.
Listed below are some of these causes of uncomfortable sensations in sensitive skin:
- Physical factors: UV radiation, heat, cold and wind
- Chemical factors: cosmetics, soaps, water and pollutant).
- Psychological factors: chronic stress
- Hormonal factors: menstrual cycle or menopause
The variety of triggering factors suggests that it is an abnormal activation of sensory receptors activated by physical and chemical factors.
However, the causes of sensitive skin remain unknown and may be multifaceted and due to physiological variations, genetic susceptibility, environmental factors (e.g., medications, cosmetics, detergents, pollution), or psychological and behavioral factors (e.g., stress, picking).
Tips for sensitive skin
You can also prevent or alleviate the symptoms of your sensitive skin by following these recommendations in everyday life:
- Shorter showers and baths that last less than 10 minutes
- Avoid very hot water for bathing and hand washing
- Refrain from using harsh fragrances, cleaning agents or other chemicals
- Use of fragrance-free, hypoallergenic products such as soaps, deodorants and detergents.
- Refrain from using harsh chemical cleaning agents
- Gently dab the body instead of rubbing it down
- Testing new products on a small area of skin before applying them to larger areas
You can also keep a diary of the products you use on a daily basis to identify possible triggers of symptoms on your skin. If you find a product that you think is causing a reaction, you should stop using it and check it for ingredients. Get help from a dermatologist who can test you for possible allergies.
Gentle skin care routine for sensitive skin
We stand for a holistic concept and show you here mild and effective products that help your sensitive skin to get back into balance, but also point out the other pillars for a holistic skin health.
The first step to regulating your skin is to take care of it from within. By practicing gratitude and patience with your skin, by learning about your skin's natural function, you can find new ways to care for your skin from the inside out. Meditation is an important component to supporting your skin. Regular relaxation can help regulate the body's inflammatory processes and initiate regenerative processes. In our article about Meditation as part of a holistic skin care routineLearn more about the background and benefits of relaxation for your skin.
In the following, we present the essential care steps and a selection of products from our care line, which are particularly suitable for your skin type.
Just like all skin types, sensitive and delicate skin requires essential care steps and products. These include mild and thorough cleansing, regulating and moisturizing active ingredients, protection and care.
Opt for gentle products that hydrate your skin, provide nourishing lipids and leave it feeling light.
A skin-friendly and effective routine for sensitive skin should focus on the essentials.
- A mild cleaningto remove excess sebum, makeup, dirt, sweat and sunscreen without degreasing the skin. The cleansing of your skin should be thorough but not damaging to the skin's protective barrier.
- Regulating care with active ingredients that balance sebum production can be used directly after cleansing. Niacinamide (nicotinamide) is one of the most proven active ingredients for this task.
- Solid hydration is essential for every skin type. Intense moisturizers help the skin stay functional on a cellular level while keeping the skin cell plump and hydrated.
- Protection and care for your sensitive skin should be mild and very compatible. Organic vegetable oils provide sufficient protection against transepidermal water loss thanks to a breathable lipid film. At the same time, the skin is supplied with protective, softening and nourishing fatty acids.
At CRAFT & CARE we have a range of products that are suitable for every skin type in different combinations. Our LIPID GLORY skin care consists of mild and effective products. All raw materials used are from controlled organic cultivation or are ecologically responsibly obtained. The skincare line is designed to regenerate your protective barrier, moisturize it and keep it supple with plant lipids. Thus, comprehensive care for more well-being in your skin is within reach.
All of the following LIPID GLORY products are essential and effective building blocks of a morning and evening skincare routine for combination skin:
The gentle LIPID GLORY Clay Cleanser is based on organic safflower and coconut oil, white clay and very mild emulsifiers. Cleansing Balm intensively moisturizes, cleanses thoroughly and creates a hydrated pleasant feeling. Your skin is absolutely clean, soft and supple after cleansing with this skin-friendly cleansing balm and in no way dry or degreased. A further cleansing step, e.g. a "Double Cleanse" is not necessary. The Clay Cleanser reliably removes dirt, makeup, sunscreen, sebum and sweat in an extremely gentle way.
Our balm is suitable for all skin types, as it does not irritate the skin, does not unnecessarily attack the skin's protective barrier and yet thoroughly frees it from the day's accumulations.
- White clay: White kaolin clay has a regulating effect on the sebum production of the skin and has gentle cleansing properties. It is a natural source of minerals and antioxidants and has a soothing effect. White clay is excellent also for sensitive and irritated skin.
- Coconut oil: Moisturizes, refreshes and stimulates skin regeneration. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Decylglucosid: A surfactant that helps the gentle emulsifiers it contains to emulsify oils and water into a cleansing milk. Decyl glucoside is very mild and compatible.
TIPS FOR THE USE OF OUR CLEANSING BALM
- Our Clay Cleansing Balm is very economical to use because it is formulated like a rich balm concentrate.
- A small amount is enough to clean the whole face and neck. You can melt it and massage the face or directly make a balmy cleansing milk with a few drops of water.
- The balm reacts immediately with a little water to form an emulsion (cream, fluid, lotion) that is even easier to apply and massage onto dry facial skin.
- The Clay Cleanser can be washed off with lukewarm water without leaving any residue.
Der Balancing Toner moisturizes and regulates the pH of your skin. It is very light, oil-free and absorbs immediately. It provides mild care, is very compatible and is suitable for dry, mature or oily and blemished skin. Formulated with intensely moisturizing and effective active ingredients, the toner protects with antimicrobial and antioxidant properties, leaving the skin soft and supple.
The contained niacinamide (water-soluble vitamin B3) strengthens your skin barrier, counteracts impurities, cleanses pores and prevents moisture loss. Niacinamide is a multi-talent in skin care. It is hydrating, prevents impurities and moisture loss, tightens pores and minimizes fine lines. At the same time, niacinamide boosts the skin's own collagen and ceramide production and thus supports the natural functioning of the skin's protective barrier.
With an application concentration of 2% niacinamide, the toner is ideally suited for daily use, in the morning as well as in the evening. Even if no product with niacinamide has been used before, the mild concentration is a gentle introduction to this versatile ingredient.
The Balancing Toner also contains the moisturizing ingredients Aloe Vera Juice Powder, Pentylene Glycol and Glycerin.
Our Hydrating Serum is oil-free and purely water-based. It is absorbed very quickly, does not stick and does not roll off. It leaves a pleasantly moist and light feeling on your skin.
Our moisturizing serum is formulated with high-quality ingredients that bind and retain water. They strengthen the protective barrier and moisturize deeply:
- Glycerin: Glycerin is an intensively hydrating active ingredient and binds many times more water to itself. It is a skin-own component of the acid mantle very well tolerated. Glycerin acts as a penetration promoter and thus helps moisture to be transported into the skin. Depending on the dosage, glycerin provides intensive moisture without leaving a sticky feeling on the skin. Glycerin soothes irritations, strengthens the skin barrier and protects against external environmental influences.
- Hyaluronic acidHydrating Serum contains 0.3% low molecular weight hyaluronic acid and 0.25% high molecular weight hyaluronic acid. This concentration of active ingredients is ideal for daily use and is sufficiently effective. Too high a concentration can have a counterproductive effect, since hyaluronic acid can bind many times more water to itself and attracts moisture at all costs. If there is too much hyaluronic acid in a care product, there is a risk that the hyaluronic acid molecules will help themselves to the water stores in the skin and not to the water already contained in the product or available in the ambient air.
- Pentylene Glycol: Pentylene glycol is an ingredient with multifunctional properties. In the product and on the skin, it prevents the formation and growth of microbial organisms, such as germs, bacteria and yeasts. It is well-founded as a preservative and at the same time can increase the effectiveness of other active ingredients. As a polyhydric alcohol, Pentylene Glycol can bind water to itself, thus ensuring the transport of moisture into the skin and providing intense moisturization. This is not a classic alcohol molecule, but a bivalent alcohol, also called a diol. Even with high doses of this active ingredient, there is no dehydration of the skin, but a reliable supply of sufficient moisture.
If you prepare the skin with a light moisturizing serum, the ingredients of other products such as oils and balms can penetrate more easily.
Mild and compatible lipids that soothe and adequately nourish your skin
Pure organic oils & oil serums
After moisturizing, you can use one of our LIPID GLORY skin care oils apply to provide additional care for the skin.
A plant-based skincare oil that's right for your skin type is an ideal foundation for signs of sensitive skin, whether for your morning or evening routine.
Our LIPID GLORY Organic almond oil or the Organic apricot kernel oil are very suitable for very sensitive skin.
Transepidermal water loss can be regulated by creating a protective and breathable film through the lipids on the skin surface. Most oils, used sparingly and in conjunction with moisture, are absorbed relatively quickly. Vegetable oils are rich in nourishing secondary plant substances, antioxidants and vitamins, which protect against the formation of free radicals caused by environmental influences.
Check out our LIPID GLORY Öle an. Each pure organic oil or our oil serums Day & Night Oil, have different care properties and benefits for all skin types.
Balms that nourish and regenerate
Our balms are made of natural ingredients that gently nourish the skin by their composition. Our balms offer great benefits: they nourish, soften and protect the skin from water loss. All ingredients used are from organic farming.
We recommend our Soft Balm to revitalize dry skin. It consists of only 5 compatible and rich ingredients:
- Beeswax: Dermoprotective and natural moisturizer for the skin. It also has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effects.
- Cocoa butter: Regenerates, moisturizes and soothes. Protects against free radicals and is rich in antioxidants.
- Coconut and almond oil: Organically grown plant oils rich in nutrients, moisturizing, regenerating and soothing.
For mild irritations, our gentle balm soothes small wounds or cracks caused by dryness or dehydration.
To deeply nourish dehydrated skin, we also recommend our Glory Balm with ingredients from controlled organic cultivation.
This balm contains cell-regenerating care oils, organic beeswax and softening cocoa butter. It protects the skin from environmental influences and moisture loss.
- Pomegranate seed oil: Skin regenerating vegetable oil, rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory. Increases skin elasticity and is rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Wild Rose Oil: Strengthens the skin barrier, stimulates cell regeneration and is very well tolerated. Moisturizes and protects against free radicals.
- Other ingredients: Beeswax, cocoa butter, coconut oil, almond, argan and macadamia nut oil.
Tips for the order of products in your routine
1. cleanse and tone:
- Start your grooming routine with the Cleansing balm. Take a small amount between the palms of your clean hands, bring the balm to melt and massage your skin with gentle movements, take your time for this step. Add one or two drops of water directly when melting or keep adding some moisture during the massage. On contact with water creates a rich and cleansing milk
- Take the resulting cleansing milk with lukewarm water and then gently dry your face. It is best to pat your skin dry with a clean towel without rubbing. A mild cleansing will make your skin ready for the application of regulating and hydrating products.
- Always apply your moisturizers starting with the most watery form. This means, for example, that you first apply a very watery toner and then a light gel serum.
2. protection and care
Oils, balms or creams are ideally applied to a previously hydrated skin. Lipids are then simply absorbed better, leaving the skin feeling rather supple and appearing less greasy or build-up. To apply them, follow the steps below:
- Apply a few drops of the oil onto the prepared, moistened skin; this allows the oil to be better massaged in.
- Or mix your individual emulsion. Our LIPID GLORY oil serums and balms can be mixed with the Hydrating Serum to create an emulsion according to your needs. Put a few drops of the oil and one or two pumps of the Hydrating Serum in the palm of your hand and mix with your fingers. Voila, a light fluid that is quickly absorbed is created.
- Gently apply the oil or emulsion to your skin with light massaging motions to facilitate absorption. A gentle massage stimulates the blood circulation in your face.
Our products are ideal for regulating sensitive skin. Your skin is gently cleansed and sufficiently supplied with moisture and lipids.
Professional advice for extremely sensitive skin
Before you start a new skincare routine, we recommend you consult with a skin condition specialist, such as a dermatologist.
We believe in holistic skin care for the well-being in your skin and your relationship with it. Caring for sensitive skin and strengthening the skin barrier is a process that requires time and patience.
Our goal is to accompany you in this process with products carefully designed for your gentle care. We wish you much well-being and patience in your care.