Irritated or damaged skin has many causes. Excessive or incorrect skin care are among the main causes. Intensive skin care has become a big trend lately: Peels, skin cleansers, retinol products, brightening agents and more. All of these highly effective products interact with your skin's natural components. It quickly happens that the skin gets overstimulated and the skin's protective barrier gets out of balance.
Skin irritation occurs when the use of a product causes a series of negative reactions. Simple, gentle and caring ingredients are the first step to reducing the potential for irritation and stabilizing your skin's protective barrier in the long term.
Here you will learn how to soothe your irritated skin again with a mild and effective care and support the skin's ability to regenerate.
What are the typical signs of irritated skin?
Irritation occurs when the components of the natural protective barrier become unbalanced and cause certain visible signs:
- Loss of hydration and moisture
- Itching and a tight or rough texture
- Redness and inflammation
- Skin areas with dandruff, redness and small pimples
- First signs of rosacea
- Extremely thin looking skin that appears glassy and slightly reddened
Causes irritated skin
There are many causes of irritation, e.g. thermal changes, atopic dermatitis, solar radiation. However, three main reasons for the development of irritated skin essentially stand out:
- Contact dermatitis : This is the reaction to many or one active ingredient in a product. The skin is hypersensitive and shows specific symptoms depending on how the skin reacts to which active ingredients. It usually shows reddish irritation with dry skin.
- Allergies : Unlike other allergies, skin irritation occurs after the second or third application of an ingredient. It causes itching, inflammation and redness. Pustules or wheals also develop in allergic reactions.
- Inflammation or tension: Inflammation can quickly become noticeable in very sensitive skin, especially if the skin's protective barrier is severely disturbed. Inflamed skin is very sensitive to many ingredients, so that it is quickly irritated even by simple ingredients.
Above all, try not to overdo your skin care. Too much of a good thing can harm your skin and make it hypersensitive. Especially chemical peels with acids and/or with mechanical particles, can lead to redness, irritation, dryness and other symptoms. Often, very effective products are used in the wrong combination, with fragrances and, moreover, too often.
Our article about the Consequences of excessive skin care , can help you get a better overview of this sometimes very complex topic.
It is always advisable to clarify the source of irritation with a dermatologist before you start using a new product.
About the skin protection barrier
Your skin protective barrier is a thin layer of cells that protects against various influences. It preserves moisture, acts against bacteria and fungi, prevents damage from sunlight and the accumulation of impurities. Our skin's protective barrier is, so to speak, a machinery of the most diverse skin components that works incessantly for us. These include fatty acids and lipids, cholesterol and ceramides.
When you disturb the natural balance of your skin barrier, your skin becomes much more stressed by external influences. It becomes hypersensitive and just can't seem to tolerate anything. Although you don't mean to, your skin continues to respond to all well-intentioned measures with redness and irritation.
One way to promote healthy and resilient skin is to use simple and essential products that strengthen, rather than damage, the skin's protective barrier. This mild type of skin care is all about building practical routines that gently stimulate cell regeneration while adding moisture and lipids.
The path to your skin's well-being is unique, and in the case of irritated skin, it requires patience and understanding. If you treat your skin gently, simple products that focus on the essentials can make a big improvement.
Our skin care collection for irritated skin consists of mild and effective products. All raw materials used come from certified organic cultivation or are obtained in an ecologically responsible manner. The skincare line is designed to regenerate your protective barrier, moisturize it and keep it supple with plant lipids.
Mild care for relaxed skin: less is more.
Irritated skin, redness and irritation cause a lot of stress and perhaps the first instinct is to focus only on skin care. However, the way to get better for irritated skin is just the opposite.
The first step to healing your skin on the outside is taking care of it on the inside. By practicing gratitude and patience with your skin, and learning about the natural way your skin works, you can find new ways to care for your skin from the inside as well. Meditation is an important component to supporting your skin. Regular relaxation can help regulate the body's inflammatory processes and initiate regenerative processes. In our article about Meditation as part of a holistic skin care routine Learn more about the background and benefits of relaxation for your skin.
The most important thing when caring for irritated skin is to develop a routine with a manageable number of ingredients. This means you should reduce the amount of products you use and focus your care only on the necessary aspects.
In the following, we present the essential care steps and a selection of products from our care line, which are particularly suitable for your skin type.
Gentle cleaning without irritation
Our Clay based cleansing balm refreshes the skin without excessively degreasing it. It is a mild cleanser based on white clay, organic oils and gentle emulsifiers. The ingredients working together in this combination, remove dirt, sweat, makeup and sunscreen in a non-irritating way yet reliably. A further cleansing step, e.g. a "Double Cleanse" is not necessary.
White clay: White kaolin clay has a regulating effect on the sebum production of the skin and has gentle cleansing properties. It is a natural source of minerals and antioxidants and has a soothing effect. White clay is excellent also for sensitive and irritated skin.
Coconut oil : Moisturizes, refreshes and stimulates skin regeneration. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Decylglucosid : A surfactant that helps the gentle emulsifiers it contains to emulsify oils and water into a cleansing milk. Decyl glucoside is very mild and compatible.
Hypersensitive skin tends to react negatively to cleansers containing aggressive surfactants and exfoliants. Very gentle and thorough cleansing is essential for irritated skin.
TIPS FOR THE USE OF OUR CLEANSING BALM
- Our Clay Cleansing Balm is very economical to use because it is formulated like a rich balm concentrate.
- A small amount is enough to clean the whole face and neck. You can melt it and massage the face or directly make a balmy cleansing milk with a few drops of water.
- The balm reacts immediately with a little water to form an emulsion (cream, fluid, lotion) that is even easier to apply and massage onto dry facial skin.
- The Clay Cleanser can be washed off with lukewarm water without leaving any residue.
Moisture and protection for irritated skin
Our Hydrating Serum water-based is very gentle and absorbs quickly. You can integrate it into your morning and evening routine to provide your skin with intense moisture.
This lightweight moisturizing serum contains active ingredients that strengthen the protective barrier and moisturize deeply:
- Glycerin : Glycerin is an intensively hydrating active ingredient and binds many times more water to itself. It is a skin-own component of the acid mantle very well tolerated. Glycerin acts as a penetration promoter and thus helps moisture to be transported into the skin. Depending on the dosage, glycerin provides intensive moisture without leaving a sticky feeling on the skin. Glycerin soothes irritations, strengthens the skin barrier and protects against external environmental influences.
- Hyaluronic acid Hydrating Serum contains 0.3% low molecular weight hyaluronic acid and 0.25% high molecular weight hyaluronic acid. This concentration of active ingredients is ideal for daily use and is sufficiently effective. Too high a concentration can have a counterproductive effect, as hyaluronic acid can bind many times more water to itself and attracts moisture at all costs. If there is too much hyaluronic acid in a care product, there is a risk that the hyaluronic acid molecules will help themselves to the water stores in the skin and not to the water already contained in the product or available in the ambient air.
- Pentylene Glycol: Pentylene glycol is an ingredient with multifunctional properties. In the product and on the skin, it prevents the formation and growth of microbial organisms, such as germs, bacteria and yeasts. It is well-founded as a preservative and at the same time can increase the effectiveness of other active ingredients. As a polyhydric alcohol, Pentylene Glycol can bind water to itself, thus ensuring the transport of moisture into the skin and providing intense moisturization. This is not a classic alcohol molecule, but a bivalent alcohol, also called a diol. Even with high doses of this active ingredient, there is no dehydration of the skin, but a reliable supply of sufficient moisture.
If you prepare the skin with a light moisturizing serum, the ingredients of other products such as oils and balms can penetrate more easily.
A moisturizing serum provides the key ingredients your skin needs to maintain and support its own functions at the cellular level. However, a water-based serum is not a substitute for other skin care that provides lipids and other substances. Fatty acids are important to lock in the moisture that your serum adds to your skin.
Light care through lipids that make your skin more resistant
After the care you can use our Organic day oil apply to provide additional care for the skin. It is the ideal base for irritated skin in the daily routine, as the oil is very compatible, intensively protects and creates a breathable film. It is made of light, light-resistant oils rich in nourishing secondary plant substances. Among others, our LIPID GLORY Day Oil contains the following organic oils:
Jojobaöl : Has a revitalizing, anti-inflammatory, soothing and moisturizing effect. In its lipid structure, jojoba oil strongly resembles the skin's own sebum and is very well "absorbed" by the skin. Jojoba oil is an oxidatively very stable oil with antioxidant properties. Its fatty acid spectrum and the richness of antimicrobial and protective ingredients, form a pleasant lipid film on the skin without having a strong occlusive effect. It provides intense moisture and is quickly absorbed into the skin. It has anti-inflammatory, vitalizing and soothing properties.
Argan oil : has high amounts of vitamin E and carotenoids. Organic argan oil has hydrating, revitalizing and cooling properties. In addition, it has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects and is a suitable oil for acne, pimples and blemishes. In the case of a barrier-disrupted skin, it helps to regenerate the skin's protective barrier.
Macadamiaöl : Counteracts the processes of degeneration of skin cells by supporting the protective barrier. Contains vitamins A, B1, B2 and minerals and has a moisturizing as well as softening effect.
The water-based Hydrating Serum adds moisture to the skin while the Reduce Day Oil sufficiently prevents transepidermal water loss. In addition, macadamia oil and glyceryl caprylate (moisturizing serum) regulate sebum production and prevent acne.
Balms that nourish and regenerate
Our balms are made of natural ingredients that gently nourish the skin through their composition. Our balms offer great benefits: they nourish, moisturize and protect the skin from water loss. All ingredients used are from organic farming.
We recommend our Soft Balm , to revitalize dry skin. It consists of only 5 compatible and rich ingredients:
- Beeswax : Dermoprotective and natural moisturizer for the skin. It also has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effects.
- Cocoa butter : Regenerates, moisturizes and soothes. Protects against free radicals and is rich in antioxidants.
- Coconut and almond oil : Organically grown plant oils rich in nutrients, moisturizing, regenerating and soothing.
- Vitamin E oil: Acts as an antioxidant against free radicals and protects against environmental influences.
You can use our balm on the whole skin, it is especially suitable for dry and mature skin. For mild irritations, our gentle balm soothes small wounds or cracks caused by dryness or dehydration.
To care for irritated skin in depth, we also recommend our Glory Balm with ingredients from controlled organic cultivation. This balm is a great cell regenerator and protects the skin from environmental influences. It consists of:
- Pomegranate seed oil : Skin regenerating vegetable oil, rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory. Increases skin elasticity and is rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Wild Rose Oil : Strengthens the skin barrier, stimulates cell regeneration and is very well tolerated. Moisturizes and protects against free radicals.
- Other ingredients : beeswax, cocoa butter, coconut oil, almond, argan and macadamia nut oil, vitamin E oil.
Professional advice for extremely irritated skin
Before you start any new skincare routine, we recommend that you consult with a skin condition specialist, such as a dermatologist. Especially if your skin is extremely irritated and has severe symptoms or signs of severe rosacea.
We believe in holistic skin care for the well-being in your skin and your relationship with it. Taking care of irritated skin and restoring the skin barrier is a process that requires time and patience.
Our goal is to accompany you in this process with products carefully designed for your gentle care. We wish you much well-being and patience in your care.