Mature skin generally means that the skin shows signs of the natural aging process. It is not a classic skin type, such as dry or oily skin.
There is no specific age at which our skin suddenly reaches that "mature" stage. It all depends on genes, lifestyle, skin care, hormones and diet. Nevertheless, with age, the skin loses elasticity and becomes thinner. Sometimes sooner sometimes later. Changes in the skin with age are normal, however, there are differences between a well-groomed and unkempt mature skin.
In the following, you will learn which factors cause our skin to age faster, which preventive habits to adopt, and which skin care routine will help mature skin become more vital.
What are the typical signs of mature skin?
Technically, skin cannot be "mature", but time definitely takes its toll on our skin. Fine lines, wrinkles and sun damage (e.g. pigmentation spots) in varying degrees are characteristic of mature skin.
As a rule, the first signs of mature skin appear in people over 35 years of age. As you get older, your cells' metabolism slows down and collagen production decreases. Collagen is responsible for keeping the skin from sagging and giving it a plump, youthful appearance.
- One of the most obvious signs of mature skin is the loss of firmness. Young and youthful skin recovers quickly thanks to elastin and collagen. However, as it ages, it loses these properties. An unpleasant aspect of aging is that dead skin cells are no longer shed as quickly. Therefore, new cells are formed only slowly and the skin looks a little paler.
- Another feature is signs of sun damage. When you're younger, you can get a sunburn and tan, and your skin will still look young and plump on the surface. When you're older, however, your skin will show damage. Any sun exposure will show as you age. Constantly exposing your skin to the sun is one of the main factors in premature aging. Using sunscreen should be high on your prio list for preventative skin care.
- Age spots, formerly called "liver spots," are flat, brown patches often caused by years of exposure to the sun. They are larger than freckles and often appear on areas such as the face, hands, arms, back and feet. Using a broad spectrum sunscreen that protects against two types of sun rays (UVA and UVB) can prevent further age spots.
- Dry skin is another characteristic of mature skin. As you age, your skin doesn't produce as many natural oils, and it becomes prone to dryness. This decrease in oil production occurs even if you have oily skin now. Without adequate hydration, you can get more fine lines and wrinkles, and your skin can look dull.
Other aspects of aged skin
Mature skin can also bring changes and problems. Maybe you never had to deal with acne before, and now you get a few pimples here and there. For women, sometimes it's menopause due to hormonal changes that can lead to pimples. During menopause, pores can enlarge, making them easier to clog and causing acne.
Scaly and rough skin is also a common problem for people with mature skin. Dryness increases in winter and can lead to blotchy and itchy skin. This is another reason why you should moisturize your skin regularly to avoid flaky skin.
As the skin ages, there is also the possibility of developing skin diseases. Skin diseases such as eczema and rosacea can occur with age. Certain forms of eczema first appear between the ages of 55 and 65. Scratches, cuts, or wounds may take longer to heal. If you feel a change may be serious, you should see your dermatologist.
Prevent premature aging of the skin
Years of sunbathing or spending long periods of time in the sun can lead to wrinkles, dryness, age spots and even cancer. But there are things you can do, or not do, to protect your skin and make it feel and look better.
Habits that unintentionally accelerate the aging process of your skin include.
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Sugary diet
- Unprotected stay in the sun
- Insufficient skin care
- Stress and hectic lifestyle
All of these things are not good for your body and therefore not good for your skin.
Even if you're already showing signs of premature aging, you can benefit from a lifestyle change. By protecting your skin from the sun, you give it a chance to repair some of the damage. Smokers who quit often notice that their skin looks healthier, and a healthier diet often helps them achieve a more radiant and vital-looking complexion.
If the signs of aging are bothering you a lot, you should see a dermatologist. New treatments and less invasive procedures to smooth wrinkles, tighten skin and improve complexion are making many people look younger.
Habits that help in everyday life to reduce premature aging of the skin are:
- Protect your skin from the sun every day. Whether you're spending a day at the beach or running errands, sunscreen is essential.
- Apply self-tanner instead of getting a tan in the sun.
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet in balance
- Drink enough water
- Move regularly for a buoyant metabolism
- Clean your skin as gently as possible
- Remove makeup every night with a mild cleanser
- Provide your skin with moisturizers and protective skin care daily
- Practice patience and gratitude with your skin and do not overdo it with care
- Meditate regularlyto regulate your stress levels.
But no matter what your habits are, good or bad, everyone ends up with mature skin because there's not much you can do to prevent aging. Prevention, however, is the best way to keep your skin looking vital for longer.
Tips for daily sun protection
Sunbathing is healthy - but in moderation and at certain times of the day. To keep your skin healthy, you should consider the following points::
- Limit time in the sun. It's okay to go outside during the day, but try to avoid being in the sun during peak hours when the sun's rays are strongest. For example, in the summer, try to stay out of the sun between 10 am and 4 pm. The sun's rays can penetrate through the clouds. You can also get sunburned in the water. So be careful when you are in a swimming pool, lake, or the ocean.
- Use sunscreen. Look for sunscreens with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher. It's best to choose sunscreen with "broad spectrum" on the label. Apply sunscreen 15 to 30 minutes before going outside. Sunscreen should be reapplied at least every 2 hours. If you swim, sweat, or rub your skin with a towel, the sunscreen needs to be reapplied more often.
- Wear protective clothing. A hat with a wide brim can provide shade for the neck, ears, eyes and head.
- Get in the habit of wearing sunglasses that block 99 to 100 percent of the sun's rays.
- If you must be in the sun, wear loose, lightweight, long-sleeved shirts and long pants or long skirts.
- Avoid lying in the sun to get a tan. Do not use sun lamps and do not visit solariums.
In our article about "the effect of UV radiation on our organism"you can learn more about this topic.
Essential skin care routine for mature skin
We stand for a holistic concept and show you here products that give your mature skin mild and effective care, but also point out the other pillars for a holistic skin health.
The first step to regulating your skin is to take care of it from within. By practicing gratitude and patience with your skin, by learning about your skin's natural function, you can find new ways to care for your skin from the inside out.
Meditation is an important component to support your skin. Regular relaxation can help regulate the body's inflammatory processes and initiate regenerative processes. In our article about Meditation as part of a holistic skin care routineLearn more about the background and benefits of relaxation for your skin.
In the following, we present the essential care steps and a selection of products from our care line, which are particularly suitable for your skin type.
Just like all skin types, mature skin needs essential care steps and products. These include mild and thorough cleansing, regulating and moisturizing active ingredients, protection and care.
Opt for gentle products that hydrate your skin, provide nourishing lipids and leave it feeling light.
Care steps of a mild and effective routine for morning and evening:
- A mild cleaningto remove excess sebum, makeup, dirt, sweat and sunscreen without degreasing the skin. The cleansing of your skin should be thorough but not damaging to the skin's protective barrier.
- Regulating care with active ingredients that balance sebum production can be used directly after cleansing. Niacinamide (nicotinamide) is one of the most proven active ingredients for this task.
- A solid moisture supply is essential for every skin type. Intensive moisturizers help the skin to remain functional at cellular level, while ensuring that the skin cell remains plump and hydrated.
- Protection and care for your sensitive skin should be mild and very compatible. Organic vegetable oils provide sufficient protection against transepidermal water loss thanks to a breathable lipid film. At the same time, the skin is supplied with protective, softening and nourishing fatty acids.
At CRAFT & CARE we have a range of products that are suitable for every skin type in different combinations. Our LIPID GLORY skin care consists of mild and effective products. All raw materials used are from controlled organic cultivation or are ecologically responsibly obtained. The skincare line is designed to regenerate your protective barrier, moisturize it and keep it supple with plant lipids. Thus, a comprehensive care for more well-being in your skin is within reach.
All of the following LIPID GLORY products are essential and effective building blocks of a morning and evening skincare routine for mature skin:
The gentle LIPID GLORY Clay Cleanser is based on organic safflower and coconut oil, white clay and very mild emulsifiers. Cleansing Balm intensively moisturizes, cleanses thoroughly and creates a hydrated pleasant feeling. Your skin is absolutely clean, soft and supple after cleansing with this skin-friendly cleansing balm and in no way dry or degreased. A further cleansing step, e.g. a "Double Cleanse" is not necessary. The Clay Cleanser reliably removes dirt, makeup, sunscreen, sebum and sweat in an extremely gentle way.
Our balm is suitable for all skin types, as it does not irritate the skin, does not unnecessarily attack the skin's protective barrier and yet thoroughly frees it from the day's accumulations.
- White clay: White kaolin clay has a regulating effect on the sebum production of the skin and has gentle cleansing properties. It is a natural source of minerals and antioxidants and has a soothing effect. White clay is excellent also for sensitive and irritated skin.
- Coconut oil: Moisturizes, refreshes and stimulates skin regeneration. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Decylglucosid: A surfactant that helps the gentle emulsifiers it contains to emulsify oils and water into a cleansing milk. Decyl glucoside is very mild and compatible.
TIPS FOR THE USE OF OUR CLEANSING BALM
- Our Clay Cleansing Balm is very economical to use because it is formulated like a rich balm concentrate.
- A small amount is enough to clean the whole face and neck. You can melt it and massage the face or directly make a balmy cleansing milk with a few drops of water.
- The balm reacts immediately with a little water to form an emulsion (cream, fluid, lotion) that is even easier to apply and massage onto dry facial skin.
- The Clay Cleanser can be washed off with lukewarm water without leaving any residue.
Der Balancing Toner moisturizes and regulates the pH of your skin. It is very light, oil-free and absorbs immediately. It provides mild care, is very compatible and is suitable for dry, mature or oily and blemished skin. Formulated with intensely moisturizing and effective active ingredients, the toner protects with antimicrobial and antioxidant properties, leaving the skin soft and supple.
The contained niacinamide (water-soluble vitamin B3) strengthens your skin barrier, counteracts impurities, cleanses pores and prevents moisture loss. Niacinamide is a multi-talent in skin care. It is hydrating, prevents impurities and moisture loss, tightens pores and minimizes fine lines. At the same time, niacinamide boosts the skin's own collagen and ceramide production and thus supports the natural functioning of the skin's protective barrier.
With an application concentration of 2% niacinamide, the toner is ideally suited for daily use, in the morning as well as in the evening. Even if no product with niacinamide has been used before, the mild concentration is a gentle introduction to this versatile ingredient.
The Balancing Toner also contains the moisturizing ingredients Aloe Vera Juice Powder, Pentylene Glycol and Glycerin.
Our Hydrating Serum is oil-free and purely water-based. It is absorbed very quickly, does not stick and does not roll off. It leaves a pleasantly moist and light feeling on your skin.
Our moisturizing serum is formulated with high-quality ingredients that bind and retain water. They strengthen the protective barrier and moisturize deeply:
- Glycerin: Glycerin is an intensively hydrating active ingredient and binds many times more water to itself. It is a skin-own component of the acid mantle very well tolerated. Glycerin acts as a penetration promoter and thus helps moisture to be transported into the skin. Depending on the dosage, glycerin provides intensive moisture without leaving a sticky feeling on the skin. Glycerin soothes irritations, strengthens the skin barrier and protects against external environmental influences.
- Hyaluronic acid: The Hydrating Serum contains 0.3% low-molecular hyaluronic acid and 0.25% high-molecular hyaluronic acid. This concentration of active ingredients is ideal for daily use and is sufficiently effective. Too high a concentration can have a counterproductive effect, since hyaluronic acid can bind many times more water to itself and attracts moisture at all costs. If there is too much hyaluronic acid in a care product, there is a risk that the hyaluronic acid molecules will help themselves to the water stores in the skin and not to the water already contained in the product or available in the ambient air.
- Pentylene Glycol: Pentylene glycol is an ingredient with multifunctional properties. In the product and on the skin, it prevents the formation and growth of microbial organisms, such as germs, bacteria and yeasts. It is well-founded as a preservative and at the same time can increase the effectiveness of other active ingredients. As a polyhydric alcohol, Pentylene Glycol can bind water to itself, thus ensuring the transport of moisture into the skin and providing intense moisturization. This is not a classic alcohol molecule, but a bivalent alcohol, also called a diol. Even with high doses of this active ingredient, there is no dehydration of the skin, but a reliable supply of sufficient moisture.
If you prepare the skin with a light moisturizing serum, the ingredients of other products such as oils and balms can penetrate more easily.
Rich lipids that make your skin more elastic and stimulate regeneration
Pure organic oils & oil serums
After moisturizing, you can use one of our LIPID GLORY skin care oils apply to provide additional care for the skin.
A plant-based skin care oil that is suitable for your skin type is an ideal foundation, whether for your morning or evening routine. Transepidermal water loss can be regulated by creating a protective and breathable film through the lipids on the skin's surface. Most oils, used sparingly and in conjunction with moisture, are absorbed relatively quickly. Vegetable oils are rich in nourishing secondary plant substances, antioxidants and vitamins, which protect against the formation of free radicals caused by environmental influences.
Check out our LIPID GLORY Öle for mature skin. Each pure organic oil or our oil serums Day & Night Oil, have different care properties and benefits for all skin types.
Balms that nourish and regenerate
Our balms are made of natural ingredients that gently nourish the skin by their composition. Our balms offer great benefits: they nourish, soften and protect the skin from water loss. All ingredients used are from organic farming.
We recommend our Soft balm, to revitalize dry skin. It consists of only 5 compatible and rich ingredients:
- Beeswax: Dermoprotective and natural moisturizer for the skin. It also has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effects.
- Cocoa butter: Regenerates, moisturizes and soothes. Protects against free radicals and is rich in antioxidants.
- Coconut and almond oil: Organically grown plant oils rich in nutrients, moisturizing, regenerating and soothing.
For mild irritations, our gentle balm soothes small wounds or cracks caused by dryness or dehydration.
To deeply nourish stressed skin, we also recommend our Glory Balm with ingredients from controlled organic cultivation.
This balm contains cell-regenerating care oils, organic beeswax and softening cocoa butter. It protects the skin from environmental influences and moisture loss.
- Pomegranate seed oil: Skin regenerating vegetable oil, rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory. Increases skin elasticity and is rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Wild Rose Oil: Strengthens the skin barrier, stimulates cell regeneration and is very well tolerated. Moisturizes and protects against free radicals.
- Other ingredients: beeswax, cocoa butter, coconut oil, almond, argan and macadamia nut oil.
Especially as day care, the balm unfolds its perfect properties as a makeup base or protective care. This balm can be applied well under sun protection products, especially for dry skin. But also as night care, it makes the skin supple and provides that certain glow the next day.
The intensive balm preserves and protects the natural protective skin barrier through the contained organic vegetable oils and organic beeswax. At the same time, the antioxidants, vitamins and minerals help the skin to regenerate and protect itself from environmental influences. This balm for the face makes the skin supple and promotes skin elasticity.
Tips for the order of products in your routine
1. cleanse and tone:
- Start your grooming routine with the Cleansing balm. Take a small amount between the palms of your clean hands, bring the balm to melt and massage your skin with gentle movements, take your time for this step. Add one or two drops of water directly when melting or keep adding some moisture during the massage. On contact with water creates a rich and cleansing milk
- Take the resulting cleansing milk with lukewarm water and then gently dry your face. It is best to pat your skin dry with a clean towel without rubbing. A mild cleansing will make your skin ready for the application of regulating and hydrating products.
- Always apply your moisturizers starting with the most watery form. This means, for example, that you first apply a very watery toner and then a light gel serum.
2. protection and care
Oils, balms or creams are ideally applied to a previously hydrated skin. Lipids are then simply absorbed better, leaving the skin feeling rather supple and appearing less greasy or build-up. To apply them, follow the steps below:
- Apply a few drops of the oil onto the prepared, moistened skin; this allows the oil to be better massaged in.
- Or mix your individual emulsion. Our LIPID GLORY oil serums and balms can be mixed with the Hydrating Serum to create an emulsion according to your needs. Put a few drops of the oil and one or two pumps of the Hydrating Serum in the palm of your hand and mix with your fingers. Voila, a light fluid that is quickly absorbed is created.
- Gently apply the oil or emulsion to your skin with light massaging motions to facilitate absorption. A gentle massage stimulates the blood circulation in your face.
Our products are ideal for regulating sensitive skin. Your skin is gently cleansed and sufficiently supplied with moisture and lipids.
Holistic skin care for more vitality
We believe in holistic skin care for the well-being in your skin and your relationship with it. With a mild and effective care, a healthy diet, relaxation and sufficient exercise, the skin gains more radiance and you feel great in your mature but vital skin.
We wish you a lot of well-being and patience with your skin care.