Finding the best skin care routine for combination skin can feel a bit like going in circles. What happens when your skin decides it's going to be oily and dry?
This is not a cause for concern. It is definitely possible to find a routine that will alleviate dry patches while regulating excessive sebum production. It doesn't matter what percentage of your skin is oily and dry, or if your dry and oily areas aren't in the typical places.
In the following, you will learn about the typical characteristics of combination skin and which skin care steps and products are suitable for combination skin in order to balance the ratio "dry to oily" or also "sensitive to impure".
What is combination skin?
Combination skin is normal and very common, just like other skin types. The difference is that combination skin is oily in some places and dry in others. For example, it is common to have an oily T-zone and dry cheeks.
The so-called T-zone can be very different - from a very narrow zone to an extensive area.
Combination skin is characterized by:
- an oily T-zone (forehead, chin and nose)
- enlarged pores in this area, possibly with some impurities
- normal to dry cheeks
The oily areas of combination skin are caused by an overproduction of sebum. The dry areas of combination skin are caused by a lack of sebum and a corresponding lack of lipids.
There is no cause per se for combination skin (it is genetically predetermined), but it can change due to hormonal and seasonal changes.
Occasionally, skin becomes drier and less oily with age as it responds to hormonal changes. Other hormonal factors that can lead to skin changes are menstruation and contraceptives.
What are the signs of combination skin?
A combination of oily and dry skin can show up in different ways and to different degrees. There's no hard and fast rule for how it looks and feels, and it's not like your skin is always exactly 5 percent dry and 50 percent oily.
You have to look closely to find out how combination skin behaves.
Signs of oily skin may include:
- shiny skin
- larger looking pores
Signs of dryness may include:
- Feelings of tension or roughness
Be sure to check out the detailed profiles for the oily and dry skin types as well.
Balancing care for combination skin
We stand for a holistic concept and show you here products that mildly effectively help your combination skin to come back into balance, but also point to the other pillars for a holistic skin health.
The first step to regulating your skin is to take care of it from within. By practicing gratitude and patience with your skin, by learning about your skin's natural function, you can find new ways to care for your skin from the inside out. Meditation is an important component to supporting your skin. Regular relaxation can help regulate the body's inflammatory processes and initiate regenerative processes. In our article about Meditation as part of a holistic skin care routine Learn more about the background and benefits of relaxation for your skin.
In the following, we present the essential care steps and a selection of products from our care line, which are particularly suitable for your skin type.
Just like all skin types, combination skin needs essential care steps and products. These include mild and thorough cleansing, regulating and moisturizing active ingredients, protection and care.
Opt for gentle products that moisturize dry patches of skin and provide the kind of lipids that regulate oily skin and leave it feeling light
A skin-friendly and effective routine for combination skin should focus on the essentials.
- A mild cleaning to remove excess sebum, makeup, dirt, sweat and sunscreen without degreasing the skin. The cleansing of your skin should be thorough but not damaging to the skin's protective barrier.
- Regulating care with active ingredients that balance sebum production can be used directly after cleansing. Niacinamide (nicotinamide) is one of the most proven active ingredients for this task.
- A solid moisture supply is essential for every skin type. Intensive moisturizers help the skin to remain functional at cellular level, while ensuring that the skin cell remains plump and hydrated.
- Protection and care for combination skin is not difficult. Here is simply important to pay attention to choose the necessary but right lipids. Light non-comedogenic oils in minimal quantities, sufficiently protect against transepidermal water loss without clogging the pores. At the same time, oily and dry skin is provided with protective, softening and nourishing lipids.
At CRAFT & CARE we have a range of products that are suitable for every skin type in different combinations. Our LIPID GLORY skin care consists of mild and effective products. All raw materials used are from controlled organic cultivation or are obtained in an ecologically responsible manner. The skincare line is designed to regenerate your protective barrier, moisturize it and keep it supple with plant lipids. Thus, comprehensive care for more well-being in your skin is within reach.
All of the following LIPID GLORY products are essential and effective building blocks of a morning and evening skincare routine for combination skin:
The gentle LIPID GLORY Clay Cleanser is based on organic safflower and coconut oil, white clay and very mild emulsifiers. Cleansing Balm intensively moisturizes, cleanses thoroughly and creates a hydrated pleasant feeling. Your skin is absolutely clean, soft and supple after cleansing with this skin-friendly cleansing balm and not at all dry or degreased. A further cleansing step, e.g. a "Double Cleanse" is not necessary. The Clay Cleanser reliably removes dirt, makeup, sunscreen, sebum and sweat in an extremely gentle way.
Our balm is suitable for all skin types, as it does not irritate the skin, does not unnecessarily attack the skin's protective barrier and yet thoroughly frees it from the day's accumulations.
White clay: White kaolin clay has a regulating effect on the sebum production of the skin and has gentle cleansing properties. It is a natural source of minerals and antioxidants and has a soothing effect. White clay is excellent also for sensitive and irritated skin.
Coconut oil : Moisturizes, refreshes and stimulates skin regeneration. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Decylglucosid : A surfactant that helps the gentle emulsifiers it contains to emulsify oils and water into a cleansing milk. Decyl glucoside is very mild and compatible.
TIPS FOR THE USE OF OUR CLEANSING BALM
- Our Clay Cleansing Balm is very economical to use because it is formulated like a rich balm concentrate.
- A small amount is enough to clean the whole face and neck. You can melt it and massage the face or directly make a balmy cleansing milk with a few drops of water.
- The balm reacts immediately with a little water to form an emulsion (cream, fluid, lotion) that is even easier to apply and massage onto dry facial skin.
- The Clay Cleanser can be washed off with lukewarm water without leaving any residue.
Der Balancing Toner moisturizes and regulates the pH of your skin. It is very light, oil-free and absorbs immediately. It provides mild care, is very compatible and is suitable for dry, mature or oily and blemished skin. Formulated with intensely moisturizing and effective active ingredients, the toner protects with antimicrobial and antioxidant properties, leaving the skin soft and supple.
The contained niacinamide (water-soluble vitamin B3) strengthens your skin barrier, counteracts impurities, cleanses pores and prevents moisture loss. Using our balancing toner can help you rebalance your combination skin.
Niacinamide is a multi-talent in skin care. It is hydrating, prevents impurities and moisture loss, tightens pores and minimizes fine lines. At the same time, niacinamide boosts the skin's own collagen and ceramide production and thus supports the natural functioning of the skin's protective barrier.
With an application concentration of 2% niacinamide, the toner is ideally suited for daily use, in the morning as well as in the evening. Even if no product with niacinamide has been used before, the mild concentration is a gentle introduction to this versatile ingredient. According to research, niacinamide is already effective against impurities and pimples with a concentration of 2%, and is therefore a must-have especially for oily skin.
It also contains the moisturizing ingredients Aloe Vera Juice Powder, Pentylene Glycol and Glycerin.
Our Hydrating Serum is oil-free and purely water-based. It absorbs very quickly, is not sticky and does not roll off. It leaves a pleasantly moist and light feeling on your skin.
Our moisturizing serum is formulated with high-quality ingredients that bind and retain water. Since it is oil-free and has a comedogenicity of 0, it is an ideal moisturizer for oily skin.
This lightweight moisturizing serum contains active ingredients that strengthen the protective barrier and moisturize deeply:
- Glycerin : Glycerin is an intensively hydrating active ingredient and binds many times more water to itself. It is a skin-own component of the acid mantle very well tolerated. Glycerin acts as a penetration promoter and thus helps moisture to be transported into the skin. Depending on the dosage, glycerin provides intensive moisture without leaving a sticky feeling on the skin. Glycerin soothes irritations, strengthens the skin barrier and protects against external environmental influences.
- Hyaluronic acid Hydrating Serum contains 0.3% low molecular weight hyaluronic acid and 0.25% high molecular weight hyaluronic acid. This concentration of active ingredients is ideal for daily use and is sufficiently effective. Too high a concentration can have a counterproductive effect, since hyaluronic acid can bind many times more water to itself and attracts moisture at all costs. If there is too much hyaluronic acid in a care product, there is a risk that the hyaluronic acid molecules will help themselves to the water stores in the skin and not to the water already contained in the product or available in the ambient air.
- Pentylene Glycol: Pentylene glycol is an ingredient with multifunctional properties. In the product and on the skin, it prevents the formation and growth of microbial organisms, such as germs, bacteria and yeasts. It is well-founded as a preservative and at the same time can increase the effectiveness of other active ingredients. As a polyhydric alcohol, Pentylene Glycol can bind water to itself, thus ensuring the transport of moisture into the skin and providing intense moisturization. This is not a classic alcohol molecule, but a bivalent alcohol, also called a diol. Even with high doses of this active ingredient, there is no dehydration of the skin, but a reliable supply of sufficient moisture.
If you prepare the skin with a light moisturizing serum, the ingredients of other products such as oils and balms can penetrate more easily.
Protection and light care with suitable lipids
Night & Day Oil Set
Das Night oil and the Daily oil are intensively nourishing oil serums made from organic plant oils that soften your skin and protect and regenerate it with their valuable ingredients. Our oil serums have a moisture-retaining effect, strengthen the lipid barrier and prevent your skin from prematurely losing moisture and releasing it into the environment.
Due to the composition of the individual organic vegetable oils, each has a comedogenicity level of 1-2. The fatty acid spectrum of the oils promotes the elasticity of the skin and regulates sebum production. All this makes our day and night oil an ideal care for your combination skin.
Light day oil
The composition of the Day oil consists of photostable oils, all of which are quickly absorbed. The vegetable oils from controlled organic cultivation are rich in vitamins, important fatty acids and antioxidants, which have a nourishing effect and protect the skin from environmental influences.
The included Organic jojoba oil is particularly distinguished for its beneficial properties for all skin types. This makes it an ideal care for acne-prone skin and susceptibility to pimples and blackheads. At the same time, it also provides ideal lipids and fatty acids for dry skin.
It is especially appreciated because it has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and moisturizing effect. Its composition is similar to the skin's own sebum (sebum).
Regenerative night oil
Das Night Oil is a light oil serum that has a moisturizing effect and cell regenerating properties. The skin is left soft and supple. The rich oils have a high content of vitamins, antioxidants and secondary plant substances. This protect the skin from environmental influences and stimulate the renewal of skin cells.
Also for your combination skin, the night oil is suitable. It is only slightly comedogenic, keeps moisture sufficiently in the skin and leaves a soft skin feeling. The two active ingredient oils contained, obtained from the wild rose and the pomegranate seed, are characterized by their regenerative effect on skin cells. Therefore, they are among the most important vegetable oils against premature aging of the skin. They are known as anti-aging oils with a particularly high cell regenerating effect and at the same time high care potential.
Tips for the order of products in your routine
1. cleanse and tone:
- Start your grooming routine with the Cleansing balm . Take a small amount between the palms of your clean hands, bring the balm to melt and massage your skin with gentle movements, take your time for this step. Add one or two drops of water directly when melting or keep adding a little moisture during the massage. When kOntakt with water creates a rich and cleansing milk
- Take the resulting cleansing milk with lukewarm water and then gently dry your face. It is best to pat your skin dry with a clean towel without rubbing. A mild cleansing will make your skin ready for the application of regulating and hydrating products.
- Always apply your moisturizers starting with the most watery form. This means, for example, that you first apply a very watery toner and then a light gel serum.
2. protection and care
Oils, balms or creams are ideally applied to a previously hydrated skin. Liids are then simply absorbed better, leaving the skin feeling rather supple and appearing less greasy or build-up. To apply them, follow the steps below:
- Apply a few drops of the oil onto the prepared, moistened skin; this allows the oil to be better massaged in.
- Or mix your individual emulsion. Our LIPID GLORY oil serums and balms can be mixed with the Hydrating Serum to create an emulsion according to your needs. Put a few drops of the oil and one or two pumps of the Hydrating Serum in the palm of your hand and mix with your fingers. Voila, a light fluid that is quickly absorbed is created.
- Gently apply the oil or emulsion to your skin with light massaging motions to facilitate absorption. A gentle massage stimulates the blood circulation in your face.
Our products are ideal for regulating excess oil production and dryness of combination skin. Your skin is gently cleansed and sufficiently supplied with moisture and lipids.