The ideal skin care for men: the gentle way to a balanced skin.
The cosmetics market has historically focused primarily on the female gender. Today, however, it is a growing trend that men are also paying more attention to their appearance. Dressing well and keeping up with fashion is not only a male concern today, but also caring for and improving one's appearance. And one of the most important points is taking care of the skin.
The skin is closely associated with the perception of beauty and youthfulness - also in men. So the question arises: how can you get healthy and well-groomed skin and avoid a mature, sallow appearance?
It's never too late to take care of yourself. Here, you can learn more about the essential care your skin needs.
What is skin care?
Let's start with the basics for a friendly introduction to this diverse world. Skin care consists of using cosmetic products to cleanse, moisturize, nourish and protect the skin. Skin care helps support and maintain the natural functioning of the skin. Dirt, dryness and external environmental factors can lead to premature aging of the skin and cause other unpleasant skin problems, such as acne or rashes.
The effect of nourishing cosmetics varies from product to product. The effectiveness can be chosen depending on the needs of the individual. Skin care can also be for certain areas such as the face and neck. Other products may be body care or hair care. Also multifunctional items are available, such as those that are titled as 2in1 products.
Why is skin care so important?
The skin has an important function in the body: it protects us from external environmental factors, plays a role in thermoregulation, absorbs substances and also acts as an excretory organ, and it constantly divides its cells to reproduce new skin tissue, which is especially noticeable in wound healing. These are just a few of its functions and properties. However, the natural functioning of the skin can be affected by various factors, such as lifestyle (smoking, unhealthy diet, etc.) or increased exposure to UV rays.
Skin care through the use of cosmetics has the basic task of helping the skin maintain its optimal function.
Skin care routines are an essential part of helping you maintain a youthful, healthy and attractive appearance. At the same time, it supports you to take aging and skin changes more calmly, as a well-groomed aged skin is very different from an un-groomed aged skin. The condition of your skin can affect not only your social life and how you see the world, but also how you see yourself.
Is men's skin the same as women's?
This is a common question you may have asked yourself. You may have wondered if, given the abundance of skin care products marketed for women, you can still use them.
The answer is: it all depends on you and your needs. As with anatomical and physiological areas, there are differences between men's and women's skin - but not very big ones. Research in this area allows us to learn about the needs of different skin types. Men and women can each tend to have oily, dry or other skin types.
Differences between male and female skin
The differences between the two focus on testosterone, a hormone that determines the characteristics of male skin and also affects women.
Because of this and other peculiarities that everyone has, there are certain differences:
- Each man's skin is individual, but it can be about 15-20% thicker than women's skin. As a result, it appears somewhat firmer and more resistant.
- Men's skin, due to the sex hormone testosterone, has a higher sebum production and larger pores . This makes it less susceptible to dry skin.
- The epidermis in men has more cell layers and the dermis has more collagen stored. However, the collagen content in men continuously decreases due to biological or environmental reasons. In women, the decline occurs somewhat later, usually after menopause.
- The pH value of the facial skin is more often below 5 in men, due to the natural interaction of sweat and sebum. Often too harsh cleansers with too high pH values are the reason for a disturbed skin protection barrier, which leads to irritated male skin.
- Men's skin is more prone to blemishes, freckles or deep wrinkles. However, this is not exclusively due to genetic factors, but because men tend to neglect their skin care routine and do not protect themselves adequately from the sun's rays.
How to start a skincare routine
Once you've decided to incorporate a skincare routine into your daily routine, the first step is to determine your skin type. This is the most important knowledge when choosing products and for application.
How to determine your skin type
You can find out your skin type by examining your own skin. It is important that you know your body and give it the right care.
Here are the most common characteristics of skin types:
1. low radiance, looks sallow and tired
2. reacts sensitively, itches, tightens and peels
3. sensitive to changes in temperature, wind and weather
1. shiny appearance due to excessive sebum production
2. greasy skin feeling
3. tendency to pimples and blackheads
1. dry skin in the area of the cheeks
2. oily areas on the forehead, nose or chin
3. tendency to impurities in the oily skin areas
1. tends to feel a burning sensation when using products.
2. exhibits dry, flaky and reddened skin areas
3. is sensitive to environmental influences such as sunlight or temperature fluctuations.
1. has a good balance
2. not prone to sensitivity
3. not prone to blackheads
4. it is soft and smooth, pores are not overly enlarged
5. it has a fresh appearance
Skin care products and their functions
What are the functions of individual skin care products? We will help you identify which function is assigned to which product:
Cleansing products remove dirt, sebum, sweat and product residues.
Maintains the moisture balance of the skin. Supports the functioning of the skin's protective barrier and preserves its moisture.
Regulation & Cell Regeneration
The natural function of your skin is restored. Blood circulation is stimulated. Certain active ingredients have a cell regenerating effect.
Protection & Care
Protect the skin from environmental influences. Preserve from water loss. Reduce the effects of UV rays and pollution.
Protect your skin adequately from sun exposure
Many people are unaware of the damage that sun exposure can cause.
Not only does it cause unexpected sunburns, but regular unprotected exposure to the sun can also lead to premature aging, compromised immune function of your body, and skin cancer. Using sunscreen every time you go out in the sun will prevent deep damage to your skin.
Pay attention to the labels and ingredients of skin care products
When using products, you should consider and question a few points or consult a personal dermatologist:
- If you have oily skin, you should avoid products with saturated or highly comedogenic oils. These types of cosmetics can clog your pores and cause acne. However, each skin reacts individually and it may be that your skin tolerates saturated lipids, such as cocoa butter very well, even though it is rather oily.
- If you have sensitive skin, it is advisable to choose products without natural or synthetic fragrances, as some ingredients of fragrances can cause irritation and at the same time hold no benefit for your skin.
- Try to avoid products with a high content of alcohol. This can cause dryness and hypersensitivity.
Do you suffer from severe blemishes?
Acne is a common condition during puberty. But if you're over 30 and pimples are constantly popping up on your face, it may have a different meaning. Scarring and acne that doesn't respond to cosmetic treatments may be signs that you should see a dermatologist.
The beard and the skin
It is important to understand the interaction between the skin and the beard growth. The beard grows under the influence of male hormones and the average daily growth rate of hair is rapid. However, the amount of hair and the fullness of the beard depends on genetics.
Shaving is the most common cosmetic practice for men. It is an ancient activity that has evolved to this day. For various reasons, such as personal or professional, men have often refrained from shaving.
Shaving, whether wet or dry, daily or infrequently, is closely related to the health of your skin. The surface of the male facial skin can be damaged by the razor blade, as it is very sensitive. When shaving, it is important to avoid damage as much as possible. Proper care is necessary before, during and after shaving to keep the skin healthy.
Main symptoms and causes of a possible shaving injury:
This may be due to the micro-injuries caused by the blades on the skin surface.
Wound in the dermis. Even small cuts begin to bleed quickly.
Irritation of stressed, sensitive skin due to improper shaving.
Skin flaking from due to healed shaving damage.
Create your skin care routine with CRAFT & CARE
Our skin care brand LIPID GLORY consists of mild and effective products. We have the right care for every skin type, providing all the essential steps of a skin care routine.
All ingredients used stem primarily from controlled organic cultivation or are obtained in an ecologically responsible manner. Our LIPID GLORY skincare line is designed to regulate and strengthen your skin's protective barrier, intensely moisturize your skin, and protect and keep it supple with plant-based lipids.
Here are our recommended products for your skin care routine:
Our Clay Cleanser, is a gentle, oil-based cleansing balm that cleanses your skin without overly irritating it. Cleansing is the prelude to any routine. It adequately prepares your skin to take advantage of all the ingredients in the products that follow.
For men, these are the properties you need to know:
- Dissolves all traces of dirt, sweat and grooming residues.
- Does not dry out the skin.
- Removes excess sebum.
- Leaves skin feeling hydrated, clean and soft.
- Perfect for preparing the skin before shaving.
These products are separately part of the LIPID GLORY collection and can also be found in the set for men's skin.
Adequately hydrating your skin with intense moisturizers is essential to keep it functioning at the cellular level. When you keep your skin well hydrated, it is less prone to developing blemishes or skin conditions. Our Hydrating Serum is suitable for all skin types.
For male skin, these are the main effects:
- It contains low and high molecular weight hyaluronic acid, which is known for its ability to bind water in the skin.
- It has an antimicrobial effect on your skin and prevents inflammation.
- Provides intense moisture without stickiness.
- Absorbs quickly and leaves a pleasant feeling.
- Prevents the appearance of skin blemishes and fine lines of dryness.
Skin care oil
Our collection of skin care oils and balms hold the right product for all skin types. Lipids keep your skin supple and protected, at the same time retaining the moisture previously added to the skin.
Organic vegetable oils can offer you several benefits:
- Sufficient protection against water loss through the skin.
- Antioxidants, secondary plant compounds and fatty acids protect against environmental influences.
- Prevention of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Regulating your skin's oil production.
The use and sequence of products
A simple and effective skin care routine doesn't need a lot of products. So if you're not a skincare veteran, don't worry. You can start with three important steps: Cleansing, Moisturizing and Protecting.
Step 1: Cleansing
- Take a small of the cleansing balm and mix it with three drops of water to make a rich cleansing milk.
- Apply the mixture to your dry facial skin and gently but thoroughly massage your face and neck. If you're in the shower, cleanse your neck and ears with the balm as well.
- You can wash the cleansing balm off with lukewarm water without leaving any residue, as it emulsifies excellently on contact with water.
Step 2: Moisturize
- The serum should be placed in the palm of your hand, not directly on your face. Spread it all over your skin, neck and chest and massage it in.
- It absorbs immediately and leaves your skin feeling hydrated and soft.
- We also recommend using it after shaving. This will help your skin avoid dryness and irritation.
Step 3: Moisturizing or multifunctional products.
- Apply a skin care oil for your skin type to your skin after the Hydrating Serum.
- Oils or balms have a protective and softening effect on your skin and prevent water loss.
- In addition, you can apply sunscreen in the morning.
Three additional tips to make your shave more comfortable
- Prepare your skin: To make shaving more comfortable, shave after a bath or shower. This relaxes your pores and softens your beard. You can achieve the same effect with a steaming towel. Also, gently cleansing your face with a mild cleanser will make your beard smoother and achieve the same effect as a shower.
- Proper use of a shaving cream. All you need to shave is a thin layer of a rich shaving cream. Remember, if you apply too much, it will be difficult to shave and the razor won't do a good job. Spread the cream evenly so that the beard is well covered and leave it on for a few minutes (2 or 3 minutes). Finally, gently apply the blades from the neck to the beard in the direction of the hair growth.
- Protect your skin and beard: apply a hydrating and antimicrobial care after shaving. If possible, without alcohol. To care for your beard, you can use mild oils. They provide smoothness, shine and a well-groomed look.
Another important fact: Why is cleansing your skin so important?
Mild and thorough - against premature aging!
The first skin care step is to cleanse your skin. This applies to all skin types. It should be as mild and thorough as possible to avoid irritating your skin's protective barrier.
You should wash off possible residues of sweat, pollution and sebum that have accumulated throughout the day. A cleansed skin is less susceptible to the formation of free radicals. These are formed when residue (dirt particles) on your skin interacts with the air or UV rays and may attack skin cells. Premature aging of the skin can be effectively prevented by regular cleansing. You should clean your face every day, especially in the evening and after sports. If you notice that your skin is oily, you can clean your face twice (day and night).
It is important to know that excessive washing of your face can lead to dryness, so don't overdo it, that again will have a counterproductive effect.
Use lukewarm water
Remember: wash your face only with lukewarm water, not hot but not too cold. Room-warm or lukewarm water helps to support the cleansing action of the product to gently loosen any particles.
Cleansing prepares your skin for the application of other products.
Step up your well-being game! With CRAFT & CARE.
No wonder you want to take care of your skin. Problem-free and balanced skin can affect your life in many ways. For example, your confidence as a person can grow.
It's never too late to start taking care of yourself as part of a simple skin care routine.
In addition to skin care, we stand for a holistic approach. Whether it's skincare, relaxation, a healthy lifestyle, a balanced diet or getting enough exercise, the facets to healthy skin are the big picture. When you come into balance with yourself, your skin will also be balanced and supported in its natural functioning.
If you have any questions about your skin care, we'd love to hear from you. Simply use the contact form to get in touch with us.
We wish you a lot of patience with your skin and pleasant moments during your skin care routine.